Public Drop-off Locations
Foam recycling drop-off locations open to the public.
- To view recycling drop-off information click on the icon for each area.
- To view a list of cities that offer curbside recycling, visit HomeForFoam.
Recycling Center Information
Dart Reprocesses Collected Foam at Four Recycling Centers
- These four centers receive foam from local schools, community recyclers, supermarkets, hospitals, manufacturing plants, cafeterias, and individuals.
- To facilitate the recycling process, Dart engineers invented a state-of-the-art process for washing and drying used foam food service products.
- Dart sells its recycled polystyrene to manufacturers who reprocess it into useful products. Recycled polystyrene is used in the making of protective foam packaging and “peanuts,” egg cartons, building insulation, video cassettes, toys, and office desk products.
- Dart has established a network of collection locations around the state of Michigan. We pick up bagged, clean foam from these locations and haul it back to our processing center in Mason, Michigan. Find a Michigan county drop-off location near you.
Recycling Specifications for Post-Consumer/End User
We can process the following polystyrene foam items provided that they are separated from other materials (e.g. paper, cans, bottles, other plastics), clean, and delivered to one of our drop-off locations.
- Foam cups and containers. Cups do not need to be rinsed, but must be empty.
- Foam egg cartons.
- Rinsed, single-layer, non-perforated foam meat trays.
- Foam food trays/lunch trays. Must be either rinsed-off or minimally contaminated — no food remnants.
- Most packaging foam: molded forms and shapes. We cannot process flame-retardant material or packaging peanuts.
The polystyrene foam material should be placed in transparent plastic bags and tagged with your name and/or organization and telephone number.
NOTE: Dart Container Corporation does not pay for material delivered to us, nor will we reimburse for shipping. We reserve the right to refuse any foam that does not meet the above criteria.
Special Conditions for our Mason, Michigan Drop-Off Location
Our Mason, Michigan facility hours are 7 AM to 3 PM, Monday through Friday. For small quantities on weekends or after 3 PM during the week, a drop-box is available. If you have a substantial amount (i.e. truckload) of material to deliver, we would appreciate delivery at a pre-arranged time, so that a loading dock will be available for you. For more information, please call 517-676-3803 ext. 2206. Existing Michigan County Recycling Program sites in need of pick-up scheduling assistance should call 517-676-3803 ext 2251.